I’m not sure where you live, but you can find me in the heart of the south which is Georgia. Our seasons are sporadic so it’s quite common for us to experience “snow”, at least our version of snow which is primarily rain and ice, in February and March. These months are very complicated times for me and I’m sure other fashionistas as well. Some of you guys probably feel comfortable with throwing on a pair of sweats and the only accessory you’re trying to wear is a warm hat. However, if you’re willing to still make an impactful attempt at fashion in the midst of this upcoming crazy weather, I have the best fashion trends that will keep you feeling and LOOKING HOT.
Let’s get to it!
“AS IF! WHATEVER!” Clueless is Back!
I had decided to bring my preppy school skirts and sweaters back into my wardrobe way before it became a winter trend. Clueless is one of my favorite movies so anytime I have the opportunity to pay homage to Cher and Dionne, I’m all the way down!
Whether you decide to stay warm with an oversized plaid coat or sashay to work in a fabulous pair of ankle pants trimmed in plaid, you’re definitely on trend.
Oh, and here’s a side note for my curvaceous cuties. Please don’t believe the hype when people claim bigger women can’t wear plaid. It’s a myth! There are numerous options of plaid for every size, so don’t be afraid to flaunt your assets!
HOP IN YOUR FOXY RIDE AND JOIN THIS PSYCHEDELIC JOURNEY BACK TO THE 70S!
Speaking of plaid, let me go ahead and inform you guys that the 70s are here to stay. A lot of our mom’s fashion was reintroduced to our generation last summer and I guess it decided to stick around this winter, too! I personally believe some of these 70’s trends are also inspired by our London brothers and sisters, but that’s just me. These trends are giving me a UK vibe and I’m loving every bit of it. Right on!
IT’S TIME TO SHOW THE MODEST WOMAN SOME LOVE!
Finally, overly sexualized and barely covering the “goodies” clothing are long gone this season. Although there will be plenty of girls freezing their behinds off anyways, which is fine if that’s your style and flavor, but for the rest of us, we can enjoy the delicate and elegant pieces of a modest woman’s wardrobe…with a twist. I guarantee you if you take part in this trend, “boring” will not be an adjective to describe your outfits. Circle skirts, blouses, pencil skirts, and the obvious sweaters are still in style but they have an extravagant touch to them now. Think of over exaggerated puffy sleeves, mixed matched patterns, and oversized designs. It’s big and loud this winter, which puts a unique spin on the typical Jackie O style that comes to mind when you think modest.
THE “FLAIR-ER” THE BETTER!
Flair is in again! It’s here and I’m loving it. You know, sometimes I just don’t feel like fighting with a pair of skinny jeans. A nice tailored pair of wide legged trousers look good on every woman. If you’re not the trendy type of gal, at least give this one a try!
Most of the trends this season are bold so why not give you the loudest trend of them all: bright colors! Leave those ordinary sad and cold winter colors in the closet because this year, it’s all about your bright pinks, yellows, and greens! Any traditional Easter color will do so stand out this season, and make everyone remember your name!
Well, at least your outfit, girl!
I’m currently pregnant with my third child and with this pregnancy came an extreme distaste for meat. I went to eating meat with almost every meal to not even being able to smell it or look at it. I thought this aversion would for sure leave once my second trimester came along, but to my surprise the distaste for meat only grew. I’ve been going crazy trying to take my ordinary meals and replacing the meat with other foods high in protein, because of this, black beans have become my favorite meat substitute. Beans in general pack a punch when it comes to protein and fiber. With this obsession, came my black bean tacos! We eat them every Monday in our household and they are a win every time! I hope you enjoy and you incorporate them into your diet! They are so simple, extremely quick to prepare, and delicious!
2 cans of black beans
Taco meat seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes
Sour cream (optional)
- Pour the black beans, cilantro, diced tomatoes, and taco meat seasoning into a skillet. Let them sizzle and season on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cut up the lettuce, avocado, and onions for people to add on if they choose to.
- After about 20 minutes of the beans getting seasoned, take them off the skillet and enjoy!
SIDENOTE: My husband chooses to make lettuce wraps instead of tacos. Just place the bean mixture on first and then happily add your taco/lettuce wrap toppings on!
We all could add a dose of more healthy foods to our diets! One versatile fruit that is beneficial and filled with healthy fats is the Avocado! They are packed with abundant nutrients such as Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin B5 and B6! They are also extremely healthy and beneficial for your skin and eyes! You ought to be eating avocado and if you aren’t here are 3 ways to incorporate it into your diet!
- Breakfast Option: Avocado Toast: Simple and easy! The way I like my avocado toast is to spread it across my toast and add the following ingredients on top of it:
-red pepper flakes
-a dash of blue cheese
-pepper and salt to taste
-sriracha sauce (OPTIONAL) or hot sauce (OPTIONAL)
- Lunch Option: Bacon Avocado Salad
-Lettuce (Iceberg or Romaine)
-Blue Cheese dressing (Or whatever you prefer)
-Bell peppers! (Because they make everything BETTER.
- On the Go Option: Protein Packed Avocado. In a bowl combine all the ingredients below and season with salt and pepper!
– 1 hard boil egg
– 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Pregnancy is a beautiful privilege, but comes with its challenges. For starters, you have to pee constantly, sleeping gets harder to maneuver and even your clothing has to change to accommodate your new growing belly. I’ve been pregnant 3 times now and with a little trial and error I have finally found clothes that make me feel beautiful and free with my changing body. Here’s my 5 maternity fashion must haves!
- UNDERGARMENTS: This is the time where you might have to stop wearing your fancy bras and underwear in the name of comfort. I know this seems like a small change, but if you don’t have an uncomfortable bra strap or panty bothering you the whole day, you feel better. During pregnancy choose cotton underwear and spandex sports bras over fancy bras like pushups and bras with wires underneath.
- MATERNITY JEANS: Confession time! During my first pregnancy I was anti maternity jeans because I didn’t want to feel like I couldn’t fit into my regular, cool, pre-mommy jeans. However, the beautiful truth is, you can’t and that’s okay!! Put your pride down and please buy a pair of maternity jeans. They are not only comfortable during those 9 months of carrying baby, but after you have baby they are great for the time in between transitioning back to your pre-baby body.
- A T-SHIRT DRESS: These dresses leave your belly plenty of room to not be restrained! Whether I’m just in the house or out and about, my t-shirt dresses are my go to comfortable but cute outfit! You can pair this with a chunky belt or long, flowing jewelry.
- A ROBE: If you’re anything like me, you dislike being in any clothing while you’re in the comfort of your house. However, I can’t just walk around naked in the name of unexpected company and 2 children who probably don’t want to see mom naked all the time. My solution: A ROBE! Purchase a comfortable robe that you can leave in during the 9 months of pregnancy and after!
- LOOSE, COTTON SHIRTS: Maternity shirts can fit odd sometimes, but something that never disappoints and always fits are my loose cotton shirts! They leave enough room for the growing belly to breathe in and they also can be casual or dressed up depending on the occasion.
The end of November is here, yes already, and with it comes THANKSGIVING! I know the commercial world would love it if we all forgot about Thanksgiving and went straight to Christmas, but Thanksgiving is such a vital holiday that we don’t need to just skip over. The heart of the holiday is in the name, giving thanks. Focusing our minds and hearts on the people we are thankful for and the circumstances we are thankful for. Sure giving thanks doesn’t generate money, but it generates gratitude and togetherness, things that can’t be bought in a store Thursday evening. Remember the days when Thanksgiving meant cooking all morning, eating all day, and then sleeping it away all evening until 12:00am came along and TRUE black Friday began? Now, Black “Friday” begins 6:00pm completely cutting between quality family time all in the name of money. Let’s take back Thanksgiving! Let’s make it how special it use to be when we were growing up! I would like to present to you The Strong Thanksgiving Challenge, in which we focus on thanks and gratitude and time spent with love ones, not rushing off to go gather more material things but rather truly being together and giving and showing thanks!
- Put all electronics in a box when guest enter your house or the house that is hosting, this will bring MINDFULNESS
- Help cook or prepare the table with the older generation, this will bring TOGETHERNESS
- Create conversation amongst the table when dinner starts, this will generate MEMORIES
- Let the older generation talk about life when they were growing up and truly listen, this will bring GRATITUDE
- Play a game with your loved ones after dinner, laugh as hard as possible, this will bring THANKFULNESS
- Do not shop for black Friday until 12:00 am Friday morning, this will bring SIMPLICITY
Let us know if you accept and fulfill the challenge and how it changed your Thanksgiving this year!
With love and big smiles,
We live in a high-tech digital world that is only going to get more digital with the coming generations. We can order our groceries online and have them delivered at our house, we can text people instead of picking the phone up to call them, and we can even deposit checks into our bank accounts with our phones thanks to technology. If we wanted to, we could avoid human contact all together. We are the generation of likes, apps, retweeting, connecting, friends and emoji’s. While there’s an abundance of screen to screen interaction, face to face interaction is dwindling and with it depression, anxiety, and discontentment are on the rise (everydayhealth.com)
So is this screen to screen interaction really connecting? How do we move with the times but keep the simple act of communicating and really connecting with each other alive? People need people. When we start replacing real conversations and language with text messages and emoji’s we’re creating gaps for the enemy to come in and attack individuals. We need to remember that no amount of connecting online can take the place of actually connecting and getting together with people to be present with them and be a shoulder to lean on or to share a laugh with is crucial.
With our gadgets it’s easy to hide. It’s easy to appear one way but actually be the complete opposite. It’s easy to mask real issues that need to be dealt with. So how do we get back to basics here? Here’s some tips on how to start connecting with the people you love and strangers 90’s style.
- CALL YOUR FRIENDS
Yes, we mean actually pick up the phone and check in on your friends! Once a week make an actual phone call in which you are interacting with someone without texting or through a social media outlet.
- LEAVE YOUR PHONE IN THE CAR
If you are going out to lunch or a movie with a friend or your boyfriend, LEAVE THE PHONE. It’s okay. You don’t have to capture every moment. Be present. Give whoever you are with your full, undivided attention. They deserve it and might even need it.
- Dare I say, GET RID OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Okay, you don’t have to get rid of all the outlets, but maybe try giving up or deleting the app on your phone for a day or two. Watch how this will free up your time and challenge you to connect in different ways. The world will keep spinning if you aren’t tweeting, trust me.
- WRITE A LETTER
Yes. Go get some paper and a pen and write a letter to a friend! This is a good way to brighten someone’s day and an excuse to go to the post office and interact with humans.
With love and big smiles,